On-going investigation of
Architectural planning in antiquity
The CSA Propylaea Project: Guide to Photographs Database
The FileMaker (version 9) database that has been created to record information about the photographs taken in the course of the project is called PropPhots and carries the extension "fp7." There are two tables: PropPhots and Photographers. (Each table is available as a stand-alone, tab-delimited file for those wishing to import the table into another database management system: Photos.tab and Photographers.tab. The individual tables have been combined into a single zip file called PropPhots.zip. The individual files were both generated with the UTF-8 character set.)
The material in the database includes a number used simply to assist with management, the name of the photographer, the date of the photograph, the film used (or "Digital original"), the original file name, the file name used on the web, a description, and other information as detailed below. Since the names of photographers would be very repetitive if included for each photo, a foreign key is used, and the information about the photographers is in a second table.
The database was organized and created by Mr. Eiteljorg. It was used primarily as an aid for presenting the images on the web.
This database was created in FileMaker Prop 9.0 and has remained in the format of that release of Filemaker from the outset.
The fields and relationships are as follows:
- In table PropPhots:
- Label -- Number -- Unique values only -- no significance to number, a housekeeping entry
- Date -- Text, not date format -- the date of the photograph, generally only the month and year
- Photographer -- number -- the foreign key linking photographers to the individual photographs
- BldgPart -- text -- subject of image: CU (central building, upper portion), CL (central building, lower portion), NW (NW wing), NE (NE wing), and so on. Exceptions: AA view from Areopagus, WW view from west, EE from East.
- Description -- Text -- serves as caption for the web
- Sequence -- Text -- a used to bind photographs to groups of a given area taken by a single photographer and intended to provide complete coverage of the area
- Film -- Text -- name of film or "Digital original"
- Digitizing -- Text -- the name of the company that digitized slides (only Luna Imaging)
- Resolution -- Text -- resolution of the digital image, in pixels, smaller x larger number
- IntExt -- Text -- I for interior, E for exterior to indicate whether image is intended to show the interior or exterior of the building
- Position -- Text -- position of photographer relative to subject: D distant, F far, N near, C close
- OriginalFileName -- Text -- the name of the file when transmitted to CSA, useful to know original file format
- NewFileName -- Text -- the file name used on the web, meaning either the original name or that name with the JPG extension in place of the original
- Seq.Label -- Number -- the number in left-to-right, upper-row to next-row order, with a separate set of numbers for each sequence so that the photographs could be ordered automatically
- Maploc -- Number -- the number used in the web coding to specify a given point of view for the photographs, with 0 recorded for those images not included in any of the groups defined by point of view (the miscellaneous page) and with 200 for those showing survey work with the 3D scanner, 300 for those showing the use of the man lift to aid surveying with a total station, and 400 for those showing the surveying crew in February of 2003 (all shown on the surveying images page)
- In the table Photographers are the names of the photographers, their birth years, and their relationships to the project. Only three photographers are included, Mr. Eiteljorg, Mr. Kapokakis, and Mr. Tanoulas. Mr. Kanellopoulos should have been recorded here as well, but the only photograph he took was one of Mr. Eiteljorg with Mr. Eiteljorg's camera. As a result, it was described as a photograph of Mr. Eiteljorg, despite having been taken by him! No photographs taken by Mr. Tanoulas have been used since the only ones that are part of the project archives are photographs of people on site.
- LastName -- Text -- last name of the person
- Apepndage -- Text -- used for Jr., Sr., II, and the like
- YearofBirth -- Text -- year the person was born
- YearofDeath -- Text -- year the person died (happily not applicable in any case here)
- RelationtoProject -- Text - the relation of the photographer to the project
- ID -- Number -- the primary key used to link to the foreign key in the PropPhots table
- FirstName -- Text -- first name of the person
Downloading the Files
Please note that the FileMaker file has not been zipped (compressed). Some browsers are confused when they encounter uncompressed binary files like this and may simply open a file in your browser window as if it were a text file instead of downloading it. This is a known problem with older versions of Safari. If you encounter such a problem, please right-click on the file and choose the download option. If that does not solve the problem, please notify CSA.
The tab-delimited ASCII files, in a single zipped file, should present no download problems. You will, of course, need to import the files, when uncompressed into a database management system and establish the correct relationships.
Note the color differences between the top photo and the lower one. This reflects the color of the sunlight at the west end of the Acropolis, with the morning light being cool and the afternoon light warm, growing steadily warmer toward sunset.
About this document:
- Title: The CSA Propylaea Project: Guide to Photographs Database
- Author: Harrison Eiteljorg, II and the staff of CSA, Box 60, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010, (e-mail: user nicke at (@) the domain csanet.org; tel.: 484-612-5862)
- File name: PhotoDatabase.html
- Revision history: This document has not been changed (except for coding changes not affecting the contained text), but changes may occur. There will be no archiving of past versions, but changes of consequence will be clearly indicated in any updated version. Posted: 14 September 2000. Last updated: (menu items only): December 2010.
- Internet access: This document is maintained at propylaea.csanet.org by the Center for the Study of Architecture and Harrison Eiteljorg, II. Note that there may be changes in computer addresses that are beyond the control of
- Long-term availability: This document or its successors will be maintained for electronic access indefinitely. Prior versions will not be archived.
- Citation permissions and copyright information: This document is copyrighted by CSA. Citations should include the date of the document cited.